Linksys Velop is a modern-day router, which is equipped with mesh Wi-Fi technology for faster internet with wider coverage. Linksys Velop is a device that is designed with a futuristic approach, which you will be able to find when you begin to use it. The ability of this router to work as a router as well as an extender is what makes it so unique and efficient. It is always better to have a router, which can offer flawless internet signals along with wider connectivity, and Linksys Velop is going to give you exactly that. However, in order to enjoy the benefits of Linksys Velop, you must know how to set it up in the correct way, details of which you can find in the upcoming section.
What are the steps for Linksys Velop Setup?
In order to Linksys Velop setup, you need to perform a series of steps, and that too in the right order. Here is how you can set up Velop in the quickest of ways:
- Linksys Velop can be easily set up using Linksys mobile app. You can download this app on your Android or iOS device.
- So, you need to begin with downloading Linksys mobile app after which, you will have to click on ‘account sign in/sign up’ button sign up by entering your email ID and other basic details.
- Now, add the nodes by taking the help of the app.
- Linksys Velop can be set up in two ways, i.e., Velop being used as access points with the existing router. In case, your router supports USB sharing, then you can make use of that feature. Another way of connecting your Linksys Velop is by replacing your existing router with Linksys Velop where one will work as the hub while others as access points.
- The convenience of setting up the Linksys Velop can also be perceived as a big frustration because it means, there is no other way of setting up the device.
- Even the configuration and troubleshooting of the Linksys Velop will be done using a smartphone or tablet.
- Another problem with the app is that even if you install it, you won’t be able to set up Linksys Velop quickly and easily. Each node will take around 5 minutes to complete, so the more nodes you add, the more time it is going to take.
- As far as the firmware update is concerned, then that will be done automatically as soon as you set up the device.
- In Linksys Velop, you’ll get a synced router and a hub pair, which you should plug into the wall power outlet. Then, wait for a couple of minutes as that is how much time it takes the devices to boot up and sync. You can also change the default settings of the entire unit from the menu.
After setting up the Linksys Velop router, you should move onto the login process.
Configuring Wired Velop System
In order to set up additional nodes to your Linksys Velop, you need to connect them to the hub using Ethernet cables. Once you are done setting them up, then you can unplug the Ethernet cables.
Steps to setup Velop using an Ethernet Cable:
- Set up the primary Linksys node using the Linksys app.
- To add a secondary node, use the same up, but you will be able to add the node wirelessly.
- When you’re done setting up the additional node, move it to a new location where you think the signal strength is very low. Once you identify the location, connect the node to the wall power outlet.
- Connect the secondary node to the primary node by taking the help of an Ethernet cable.
Note: The Ethernet cable needs to be CAT5e for a seamless connection.
All other nodes can be added using the same steps.
What are the steps to perform Linksys Velop Setup in Bridge Mode?
In order to connect your Velop routers with the existing Wi-Fi connection, you will have to set them up in the bridge mode. In Bridge Mode, the Velop system will not have a separate network, but all the nodes and client devices connected to Velop’s Wi-Fi or modem/router combo will be on the same network and they will communicate with other devices present within the network.
Conditions to fulfill for setting up Velop in Bridge Mode:
- Set up Velop routers by following the aforementioned steps.
- Install Linksys Velop app and make sure to use the latest version of the app and firmware. You can check the firmware version of the app by going into the dashboard followed by ‘firmware version’. If there is an update available, then you should get that update.
- Connect your smartphone to Velop’s Wi-Fi because if you don’t, then you won’t be able to switch the connection type to bridge mode.
Things to remember:
- If the initial Velop system consists of secondary nodes that are connected already, then make sure the secondary nodes should work in bridge mode in case you switch to that mode.
- As you switch to bridge mode, you can add more nodes by selecting ‘set up a new product’ option.
- If you want to disable the bridge mode, then you can also do that by going to ‘Navigation Menu’, then ‘Advanced Settings’ followed by ‘Internet Settings’, then ‘Connection Type’ and finally, ‘Disable Bridge Mode’.
- Disabling the bridge mode will shut down a few features as well such as speed check, device prioritization, MAC filters, parental controls, and device list.
The process to set up Velop in Bridge Mode:
- Launch the Linksys app on your smartphone.
- Go to ‘Dashboard’ and tap ‘Menu’.
- Tap ‘Advanced’ settings, then ‘Internet Settings’.
- Select ‘Connection Type’ option followed by changing the connection type to ‘Bridge Mode’.
- Click ‘Save’ and then tap ‘Enable Bridge Mode’.
With that, your Velop is set up in the Bridge Mode.
Linksys Velop Router Login – How To Do It?
As you get inside the web interface of the router, you get the ability to change and modify many of the router’s settings like:
- Username & Password.
- Wi-Fi network name & password.
- Default network name.
- DHCP client address.
- Firewall Settings.
These settings can be easily changed through the web interface of Linksys Velop, but for that, you must have the Linksys smart WiFi login credentials. If you have the login credentials, then you must log in to the web interface.
Steps for Linksys Velop Login
- Connect your computer/laptop to this new network on which your Linksys Router is connected to.
- Turn on the computer/laptop, then launch a web browser and in the address bar, enter ‘192.168.1.1’. You will see a box with two empty fields in which, you will have to enter the username and password for your Linksys Velop.
- By default, the username field should be left blank, but if you have changed it previously, then enter the one you have created.
- In the ‘Password’ field, enter ‘password’ because that’s the default password for the router.
- Finally, click the ‘login’ button.
Linksys router login- Here’s how you can perform?
The steps for performing the Linksys router login are:
- Connect your computer to the Linksys network using the wired or wireless connection. If you don’t know the password for wireless connection, then connect using the Ethernet cable.
- Launch the web browser like internet explorer, safari or chrome and enter the IP address of router. It is 192.168.1.1. If this IP address is not working on your device, then check if the router is connected to the device or not.
- The login page appears where the username and the password will be entered. The default username and the password is given in the manual. You can also confirm it from the router experts.
- Click ‘Enter’ after entering the login details.
- The web-interface now opens on the front screen from where you can change the settings of the existing router.
How to do Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup?
The steps to accomplish Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup are:
- Connect the router antenna to the top of it. Now, connect the power adapter to the router and turn it on.
- Connect the router to the modem using Ethernet cable.
- Establish connection to the Wi-Fi. You can check the wireless login credentials from the manual.
- Open the web browser and enter http://linksyssmartwifi.com in the space given.
- Click on the box given next to ‘Read terms and conditions’.
- Tap ‘Next’ to go to next step.
- In the next window, router update page will open and the updates are set to ‘Automatic’ by default. If you want to change it to manually, you can by turning the ‘Automatic updates’ off.
- Enter the SSID name and the password in the field.
- You are now asked to change the name of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band and return to setup.
- Enter new password twice to confirm it.
- The router is now successfully configured on the network. You will get ‘Successfully configured message’ on the screen.
- The Linksys smart Wi-Fi account page will now open.
How to perform Linksys Smart WiFi login using www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
In order to login to the router, you can use linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1 IP address. The steps for the same are:
- Open web browser on your computer and go to http://www.linksyssmartwifi.com.
- The login page now opens.
- Enter the username and the password in the fields provided.
- The home page will now appear.
How to modify ‘My Velop’ Wi-Fi Settings?
With Linksys Velop, you can personalize your Wi-Fi settings, details of which you can find in the steps below:
- Open the Linksys app and log into your Linksys Cloud account using your router’s password.
- Tap ‘Menu’, then ‘Wi-Fi Settings’ and select the field that you want to change.
- Once you changed the required field, tap ‘Save.
- You can open the web interface of Velop to personalize settings for which, you need to log into your Linksys Cloud account, and then clicking ‘Wi-Fi settings’ under ‘Router Settings’.
- You can select the same Wi-Fi settings for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands or you can use different settings as well.
- If you use the same settings, then enter the preferred Wi-Fi name and password under ‘Wi-Fi settings’ and then, selecting ‘Security mode’ and ‘Wi-Fi mode’.
- If using separate settings, then you’ll have to go to ‘Wi-Fi settings’ under which, you need to click ‘Show More’.
- Enter preferred settings for each band and then, click ‘Apply’.
- A window will pop-up where you need to use different Wi-Fi names where you will click ‘Use different names’ option.
- Click ‘yes’ to ‘you are updating Wi-Fi settings’ option and then, click ‘OK’.
How to configure Velop’s DNS Settings?
Follow below-mentioned steps to configure DNS settings on Linksys Velop:
- Launch the Linksys app and from the Dashboard, go to the ‘Navigation’ menu.
- Tap ‘Advanced’ settings and then, ‘Local Network Settings’.
- Scroll down to DNS settings and then, tap ‘>’ icon.
- By default, ‘Auto’ will be selected, so change it to ‘Manual’ after which, you need to enter ‘DNS Settings’.
- Tap ‘Save.’
Frequently asked questions:
1: How many Velop nodes can be configured?
At a time you can connect only 3 nodes to the Velop mesh. Yes, if there are more nodes to connect, then another network will be created and you need a modem that has additional port.
2: Linksys Velop keeps on disconnecting?
This problem occurs due to number of reasons like the connectivity is not proper with the client device. There is problem with the internet or the firmware update is available for the router. Try updating the firmware of the router.
3: Does Linksys Velop support VPN?
Yes, Linksys Velop support VPN like L2TP, P2P tunneling protocol and IPsec.
4: How many devices can a Velop handle?
You can connect up to 10 wireless devices at home. The Velop uses MIMO technology to ensure proper internet connectivity on all devices at a time.
5: How do I contact Linksys Velop support?
Are you still getting problem using the Linksys Velop or configuring it on the network? Well, you can contact the Linksys Velop experts at 800-326-7114. The experts will solve your problem amicably.
- If you want to chat with the virtual experts, you can by clicking on the https://www.linksys.com/us/support/#product-chat link.
- If you want to connect through social handles like Twitter, then follow them on https://twitter.com/linksyscares.
- Some questions along with the answers are also discussed on the community forum page. You can go to this page through https://community.linksys.com/?category.id=English.